Friday, October 23, 2009

The Euro

As stated in the last couple of posts, the Euro got the better of us while in Ireland. I am not going to sit here and tell you I am happy with the exchange rate between the US and Europe. When we were in Europe, and I know this is constantly fluctuating, the exchange rate was $1.56 for 1 euro. With this in mind we were constantly in an uphill battle.


Take this meal for example, Kelly (beautiful I might add) at a mediocre restaurant ordered fish and chips. In American terms, she got fried fish and french fries (a standard meal at the local American Legion) for 14 Euro. I ordered the cheapest pizza, a Mediterranean pizza for 15 Euro. Not bad prices huh? Well if you do the conversion, Kelly and I spent approximately $41 on fried fish and a personal pizza. This is not the only example here my friends. Kelly and I could only settle for pub food. Not that we can complain it was good food in a great atmosphere. Pub food consisted of either a burger and fries, or a panini and fries. You could not find a burger and fries for less than 12 Euro. Kelly and I, buying pub burgers and fries for about 24-25 Euro= $36. To this day, I am still trying to figure out how ludicrous and expensive Europe is. I have been to fancy restaurants in the Twin Cities with Kelly, and the max we have spent at a restaurant is about $50. Are you trying to tell me, that I spent $41 every meal on a burger and fries? We went to McDonald's the last night we were in Dublin. To try to save a few, but even their/our dollar menu ("Euro" menu) is a rip off. You can get a double cheesburger in Ireland for 2 Euro. Not bad right? Well thats actually $3. Don't even get me started on retail.

It doesn't stop with food. Cab rides, bus tickets, Bed and Breakfasts. Europe is expensive and will bust your bank. However, it is awesome and worth it. My advice, which is what it always has been, go to Europe when you are older and have a little more cash.

No comments: